It’s National Hand Washing Awareness Week, and Beall Brewery Insurance wants to take the opportunity to point out that hand-washing reduces respiratory illness—like colds—by more than 20%. During cold and flu season, hand-washing reminders could help your staff and your customers to stay healthy. And during the COVID-19 pandemic, hand-washing has repeatedly been celebrated as one of the top steps you can take to maintain your health, and the health of those around you.
Remind your workers:
- Don’t cough or sneeze into your hands. If you feel a cough coming on, turn it into a “vampire cough”—raise your arm and cough against the material covering your elbow, as though you’re a vampire raising your cape to cover your face. You will smother the “explosion” of droplets coming out of your mouth, preventing them from spreading to those around you.
- If you do cough or sneeze into your hands, wash your hands immediately.
- Wash your hands before, during, and after preparing or consuming food (or beer!).
- Always wash your hands before eating.
- Wash hands after blowing your nose or handling garbage.
- Wash your hands after using the toilet.
- Wash your hands after removing or adjusting your face mask.
- Wash your hands after touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands after touching something that other people may have touched (think door handles, tables, cash registers…).
If soap and water are, for some reason, not available, a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol is an acceptable substitute.
Consumers are accustomed to seeing hand-washing reminders in public bathrooms. If you chose to post a reminder of the optimal way to wash hands, it is unlikely anyone would take offense. And, of course, it’s a great idea to share these tips with your team.
- Lather up fronts and backs of your hands, as well as in between your fingers and under your fingernails.
- Wash for at least 20 seconds. (Try humming “Happy Birthday” twice—that will ensure that you have washed for long enough.)
- Rinse and dry hands thoroughly.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of niche businesses, such as craft breweries, that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With California offices in Redlands and Newport Beach, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.