A brewery fire is one of the top three most severe losses a brewery can experience, according to data from The Hanover Insurance Group. And this is the perfect time to remind brewery operators how to put wildfire prevention into effect.
Why? Because this year, wildfire is causing more damage.
From January 1 to September 19, 2021 there were 45,118 wildfires, compared with 43,556 in the same period in 2020, according to the National Interagency Fire Center.
Does that mean it’s too late to take steps to prevent wildfire at your brewery? Absolutely not.
There is no shortage of brewery fire risk. There’s hot machinery, power tools, gas-powered vehicles and gas-fed flames, and loads of packaging material and paperwork. Think about it: any craft brewery has plenty of fodder for an accidental craft brewery fire. To top it off, a craft brewery is—like any other business—vulnerable to the threat of wildfire.
How can you protect your craft brewery from wildfire?
Inside the brewery:
- Make sure smoke detectors have fresh batteries, and fire extinguishers are ready to use.
- Invest in a fire-resistant safe to store important documents.
- Establish an inspection schedule to control fire risk within the brewery.
- Properly label and store all chemicals, and store all other supplies in a way that minimizes risk of fire.
- Train brewery staff in fire safety procedures. They should know the locations of fire alarms and fire extinguishers, as well as how to use extinguishers.
- Test the brewery’s fire alarm system and sprinkler system regularly.
- Hold fire drills.
Outside the brewery:
- Clear brewery roof and gutters of debris.
- Remove any dead plants, trees, branches, or debris from your brewery property.
- Clear branches that extend over the roof or within six feet of the brewery.
- Ensure that you water your landscaping adequately.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of niche businesses, such as craft breweries, that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With offices in California and Indiana, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.