Beall Brewery Insurance reports that, according to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, each day about 2,000 US workers sustain work-related eye injuries requiring medical treatment. Eye injury has resulted in more than $300 million in lost time, medical expenses, and workers compensation, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The silver lining to this cloud? Eye doctors and safety experts believe that the proper eye protection could have decreased the severity of or prevented 90 percent of these injuries.
Craft brewery staff often works in situations that put their eyes at risk. For instance:
- Objects may fly out from the bottling machine
- Liquid chemicals used for cleaning equipment can splash into the eyes
- Small particles can become suspended in the air while using power tools
Additionally, monitoring moving machinery and control panels, as well as using the computer, can cause vision fatigue. That’s a challenge that can increase in poor lighting.
The good news: preventing brewery hazards from causing eye injury is actually quite simple.
Prevent Eye Injury in Your Brewery
- Ensure workers understand and follow established safety procedures.
- Workers must wear the appropriate PPE to ensure the eyes are protected from projectiles or chemicals. PPE may include goggles and face shields, or in some situations, welding helmets.
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule to reduce vision fatigue. At least every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break and look at something 20 feet away.
- Establish a schedule for inspecting PPE to ensure that it does not need to be repaired or replaced.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of niche businesses, such as craft breweries, that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With California offices in Redlands and Newport Beach, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.