Liquor liability is one of the most severe claims a brewery can face. It can impact the brewery’s bottom line, with potential legal fees and settlements, as well as fines. And it can damage the brewery’s reputation, resulting in an ongoing negative impact.
Late August, all the way through Labor Day, the Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over campaign strives to remind people of the risks of driving under the impact of alcohol. It’s a great opportunity for you to remind your brewery team that the power to prevent customer DUIs and resulting liquor liability claims lies in their hands.
Steps You Can Take
- Review your brewery policies and procedures with staff to ensure everyone understand the seriousness of the issue, and how to avoid it.
- Emphasize the importance of checking patron IDs and preventing serving underage customers.
- Share techniques to help workers identify, assist, and stop patrons who have had too much to drink. (You may even wish to offer staff a refresher training session, such as LEAD or TIPS.)
- Share techniques to encourage patrons who may have overindulged to use taxis or other ride services rather than getting behind the wheel.
- Review how the brewery documents incidents involving patrons who have had too much to drink.
- Review policies regarding employee drinking at the brewery.
Your goal is to brew great beer for your customers to enjoy. Your servers’ job is not only to pour that beer, but to make sure they are pouring it within the right limits. Make sure your team and your customers enjoy the end of summer safely.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of niche businesses, such as craft breweries, that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With California offices in Redlands and Newport Beach, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.